Old MacDonald's Farm uses the latest version of Flash, please upgrade your Flash Player HERE
- Animal Domestic Goat and Pygmy Goat
- Origin Africa, Southwest Asia and Eastern Europe
- Sex Female (Doe or Nanny) / Male (Buck or Billy)
- Weight 60-80 Ibs Domestic Goat / 20-50Ibs Pygmy Goat
- Height Over 3ft Domestic Goat / 40-50 cm for Pygmy Goat
- Lifespan Have been known to live up to as long as 25 years; although on average is 10+ years
- Animal Population Most commonly used animal around the world, with over 300 different types. Estimation worldwide 400+ million
Did You Know?
...fun farm animal facts!
Goats will graze mainly on vegetation and when domesticated a seed mix. They are notorious for their curiosity and for trying anything to eat, such as paper and cardboard etc. and if you stand close enough, they may even have a nibble of you.
Goats can be distinguished by 2 horns on the top of their head, a beard below their chin and a small upright tail. Pygmy goats, as the name suggests are very small and are also known as dwarf goats.
Nanny goats can produce milk which can then be turned into butter and cheese products. Cashmere is a product of a goats coat, which can be made into clothing items such as shawls and jumpers.
Goats are vital to the economies of millions of families around the world as they are easy to keep, they produce milk and their coats can be made into clothes and they are a useful food source.
Sometimes farmers use male goats to pull small vehicles when doing farm chores.
Pregnancy lasts for 150 days and usually only 1-3 kids are born.
In Greek Mythology the god ‘Pan’ was said to have the horns and legs of a goat and was associated with bad behaviour. The goat is also part of the zodiac in the Chinese calendar.